||More wise words
Voice Card - Volume 18 - Paul Card Number 5 - Sat, Jan 26, 1991 11:01 AM
This is a response to VC 17 Paul 13 ("Wise Words")...
- "He's a great player. He ceases to amaze me every day."
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Ray Perkins
- "If God had meant us to walk about naked we would be born with no clothes on."
- Unknown person commenting on opening of a nudist (naturist) beach
- "Swimming unsafe if water level is above this sign"
- Sign in middle of lake, Boca Raton, FL
- "Live Music, Old Age Pensioners, Half Price Guinness"
- Disco advt in the Galway Observer
- "For those viewers watching TV in black and white, the pink ball is the one in front of the reds."
- TV commentator Rex Williams re: Embassy world snooker tourney
- "...his first trip overseas in many years..."
- South African Radio on Col. Gadhafi's 1986 trip from Lybia to Zambia
- "Unfortunately, not all the people in Louisiana are racists."
- US Vice President Dan Quayle, on white supremacist David Duke
- "Contraceptive breakthrough: 50 mothers involved."
- Galway Advertiser
- "What people don't seem to realise is that Tallaght is the second biggest town in Ireland, after Dublin and Cork."
- Mayor of Tallaght, in television interview
- "The leading indicators seem to be lagging a bit."
- David Wyss, DRI-McGraw Hill stock analyst
- "People have been having babies for centuries, haven't they?"
- Geoff Boycott
- "Luncheon Buffet, 7 days a Week, Monday to Friday"
- Menu in an Ontario Indian Restaurant
- "[I support efforts] to limit the terms of members of Congress, especially members of the House and members of the Senate."
- Vice President Dan Quayle
- "Prices have been reduced by as much as ten percent ... and more."
- Advt on unidentified radio station
- "If our team just scored a couple of more touchdowns, it would have been a totaly different game."
- Newscaster re: game lost by two TDs
- "This new environmental bill ... is completely transparent to the Irish public. Everyone will be able to see it in action."
- Padraig Flynn, TD
- "Prerequisites are not required."
- LiveWire, 10 Dec 90
- "Digital is...stressing sails of the flagship VAX line in Europe."
- Wall Steet Journal, 12 Dec 90
- "Place in locked position to lock"
- Sign on cigarette dispenser
- "Britain is not an island...well, yes it is, but..."
- Unidentified MP, on BBC Radio 4
- "The President continues to surprise people, so I am not surprised to be surprised."
- US Secy of Defense Dick Cheney
- "President Bush is due to address the nation in approximately 20 minutes precisely."
- Peter Jennings, ABC News
- "Mobile launchers are more difficult to detect because they move around, unlike fixed launchers."
- Katie Coucik, NBC News
- "Continuous coverage of the war in the Persian Gulf will resume in a moment."
- Tom Brokaw, NBC News
- "We have good reason to believe he was stabbed. There was a sharp object sticking out of his chest".
- Lt. R. Travis, Newburgh, NY, Police Dept, cited in National Lampoon calendar
- "The City of Rochester (Michigan) is considering a ban on smoking at the park because people are leaving their butts on the beach."
- Announcer, WJR Radio, Detroit, MI
- "Men between the ages of 18 and 25 must register for the draft on their 18th birthday."
- Sign in a US Post Office
- "This door must not be opened under any circumstances."
- Sign outside a fire exit in a hotel
- "We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."
- Unidentified general officer, re: Gulf war.
- "Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin together again for the first time."
- Ellen Kushner on "Caravan", WGBH radio, Boston
- "It is mandatory that tenderers provide proof that the specified performance requirements are likely to be achieved by the proposed system."
- Request for Quotation from unidentified prospective client
- "President Union will address the nation on the state of the Bush."
- Hampton Pearson, news reporter, WBZ TV
- "Sir James Spicer...has officially opened a lavatory at the Piddle Valley First School near Dorchester."
- VNS #2244 Main News, 23 Jan 90
- "Tensions in Latvia...are tense..."
- WBZ Radio, Boston, 21 Jan 91, news