Voice Card - Volume 21 - Paul Card Number 10 - Wed, Sep 11, 1991 4:28 PM
Date: 91-09-11 01:58:43 EDT
From: P King Duk
Subj: More contributions
- "...and there he was, gone!"
- Overheard in a Galway pub
- "The training will begin in July and commence in December."
- Internal training memo
- "I will not be unavailable for most of, if not all, of this week. Please refer all urgent matters to [deleted]."
- Memo from unidentified colleague
- "We manage to poke our head out the window...a little bit after we go to sleep."
- Columbia Space Shuttle crew member
- "The military received the largest ticker tape parade in the history of New York. Over five tons of graffiti was dropped."
- Newscaster on channel 7 KABC-TV
- "You have a choice here of what you want to choose."
- Unidentified colleague
- "He chanced his arm, and it came off."
- Trevor Bailey, BBC Radio 3, on cricket
- "They're as synonymous with baseball as the game itself."
- NPR sports correspondent
- "We are unable to predict drying conditions today. However, we do expect them to be poorer in areas with more frequent showers."
- RTE weather forecast
- "It really just boils down to two words...democracy, and the marketization of their economy."
- US Nat'l Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft
- "Out of Order, Leak on Roof"
- Men's room sign, GTE Sylvania, Danvers, MA
- "You don't get from today to tomorrow overnight."
- Heard in a discussion
- "MICROWAVE IN USE", "MAXIMUM CAPACITY 75"
- Adjacent signs in a Burger King restaurant.
- "This new market will develop as follows: the innovators will lead, and the laggards will come behind."
- Consultant Briefing
- "The open-air concert by Luciano Pavarotti in Hyde Park last night was still a success last night..."
- VNS #2377, Main News
- "Parking Difficult when car park full."
- "Where to Drink in Berkshire" Camra Guide
- "The median price of houses in Melbourne is now $150,500. Some houses are cheaper, and some are much more expensive."
- Rod McNeil, Radio 3LO
- "Rare species, if you don't find them for a year or two and you say they're extinct, they have a way of coming back."
- "The Capital," Annapolis, MD
- "I'm not the one to blame anyone, but it was definitely Viv Richard's fault."
- Fred Trueman, BBC Radio 3
- "Mansell is almost metaphorically in sight of the chequered flag."
- Murray Walker, BBC2
- Dave Lee Travis: "So, where are you from?"
Listener: "York, Dave."
DLT: "Aaah, York in... er..."
Listener: "Yorkshire, Dave."
- Interview on BBC Radio 1
- "Cardial - as in cardial arrest."
- Eve Pollard, Channel 4
- "Labour are pushing lies thorugh our doorstep."
- William Waldegrave, BBC Radio 4
- "Pres. Bush has agreed to trade concessions for the Soviet Union."
[The mind boggles. What would he trade for, say, France? - rfb]
- VNS #2342 Main News
- "This is the first of a regular publication of 'In The Safety Lane'."
- In The Safety Lane, Volume 3 No. 5
- "When she's in a groove, she's awesome. When she's not in a groove, she pulls herself out of it."
- High school softball coach
- Menu item: "Vegetarian Delight: Pork Fried Rice and one appetizer"
- "Chopsticks" fast food Chinese restaurant
- "The days seem to be getting longer as the days get longer."
- Unidentified colleague
- "Won't last at $103,000 [crossed out] $99,500 [crossed out] $94,500!"
- Ad for a house, Northampton, MA
- "In a conference call, IBM told analysts it didn't expect to post a loss in the second period, but cautioned that `it really depends on revenue production.'"
- The Wall Street Journal, 21 Jun 91
- "CORRECT GRAMMER rereads the latest edit before moving on. This feature lets you correct and edit your wiring in one pass."
- Product brochure
- "Free admission passes to The Computer Museum are available at no cost to Digital employees"
- EAC newsletter
- "We kept ourselves going because we believed the corner would turn."
- Dave Bassett, BBC Radio 4
- "She's as safe as an olive."
- David Coleman, BBC1 TV
- "Scott Gibbs, the nineteen year old, now twenty."
- Bill Maclaren, BBC1 TV
- "The shape of the business cycle is such that the shoe is pinching."
- Dominic Harrod, BBC Radio 4
- "This is the first step in a chain that will unfold."
- David Mellor, BBC Radio 4
- "A good indication of randomness... is that a high number is followed by a lower one about as often as a low number follows a higher one."
- "Islands of Truth" by Ivars Peterson
- "Unchlorinated water was released into the drinking supply of a large area north west of London yesterday. The water company wormed people..."
- VNS #2370 Main News
- "That's the first time I've been licked by a fifteen year old."
- Martina Navratilovav
- "...and Cork are still standing, but on bended knee."
- Unidentified hurling commentator
- "We are putting the passengers in the driving seat."
- British Rail spokesman
- "Colleagues and friends expressed shock and disbelief over her death by cancer because she did not let it interfere with her work."
- Canadian Math Society Notes 23, no. 5
- "It's just water over the bridge anyway."
- Favorite saying of nearby colleague
- "You get two good women on grass, and there's nothing better."
- Budd Collins, at women's Wimbledon final
- "That is easily going to be very difficult."
- Robert Segal, on NPR's All Things Considered
- "That's the crucial point, if the ball is passed backwards it can't possibly be a forward pass."
- Australian rugby commentator
- "You'll find it perfect for those rare emergencies that happen so frequently in business these days."
- MCI advertisement in Business Week
- "42 tons, how heavy is that?"
- ITV presenter talking to the world's strongest man
- "He should be considered not guilty until he is found innocent."
- All Things Considered announcer, NPR
- "When you come to Westport House and Children's Zoo, you only pay once. Then you can visit any of the attractions, many of which are free ..."
- Radio Advertisement on Galway Bay FM
- "Goats and Kids for Sale"
- Sign near York, PA, USA
- "Tonight's weather, partly sunny; tonight at 10:00."
- Mike Madison, KKTV
- "The Ottonian age began with Otto the First."
- History textbook
- "They're going to get their fair share of unfair criticism."
- Tony Wedgwood, KPMG Peat Marwick McLintock
- "There's no damage to the car apart from the car itself."
- BBC1 Grand Prix commentator Murray Walker
- "All the weather is located in the southeastern part of the country today."
- Local weatherman
- "ALL ORDERS PROCESSED SAME DAY 95% OF THE TIME."
- Banner in aisle at DAS site
- "Rajiv Gandhi was not the man his mother was the woman."
Sir Eldon Griffiths, BBC Radio 4
- "It's a political hot potato round their necks..."
- Dr Marks, Radio 4
- "Those memories of that final are now just memories."
- John Virgo, BBC TV
- "Short of a major scandal, that band [Huey Lewis and The News] will continue to make records and entertain people for 25 years, as will this next artist, the late Jim Croce."
- Dave Lee Travis, BBC
- Phil Upton: When are you 18?
Caller: Next Tuesday.
Phil Upton: So that's your birthday?
- BRMB Radio (Birmingham, UK)
- "This is the first time he has been back to Wimbledon since the last time he was here."
- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV - Wimbledon '91
- "I think we're confusing these two issues, the carrot's really a red herring."
- Former DECcie in on contract work
- "All movies 99c, New releases $1.49"
- Video rental store sign, San Bernardino, CA
- "He's a minefield of information."
- Dave Eaton, DEC New Zealand
- "Could this be championship point, with Sabatini's serve to follow?"
-Dan Maskell, BBC 1 Tennis Commentator
- "In line with our Summer schedules, tomorrow's first news on RTE 1 will be at 3.00 and 4.00."
- RTE 1 News
- "And the next thing I knew, I was lying unconscious on the ground."
- Survivor of a lightning strike
- "I went running through the woods near my house for the first time in a long time, something I had never done before."
- Unidentified collegue
- "These animals are slaughtered while practically alive."
- Richard Wilson, BBC Radio 5
- "Free Children with Adult Rental"
- Sign at video rental store, Franklin, MA
- "They had a really hard childhood, early in life."
- Interview on NBC TV, Today Show
- "It's slightly further but the distance is the same."
- unidentified VAX marketing manager
- "Some of the football Chelsea have played this afternoon is synonymous with some of the football Chelsea can play."
- Capital Gold Reporter
- "I never predict anything and I never will do."
- Paul Gascoigne, BBC Radio
- "My seven year old, who is now ten..."
- Lady Olga Maitland, Anglia TV
- "And in their second game of the season, Lancashire have at last notched up a victory."
- Anon. cricket commentator
- "Faith, Hope and Charity, Love is the greatest of these three."
- Frances Nero, BBC TV - Top of the Pops
- "No athlete likes wind unless it's from behind."
- David Coleman, BBC1
- "They always give me lifts, sometimes."
- Contestant at the Rose of Tralee, when asked what her brothers were good for
- PETER H.: This was Gordon Jackson's last TV role.
PETER'S WIFE: Oh, did he do this before he died, then?
- Family conversation
- "Arguably, Carl Lewis is without question the best long-jumper ever."
- Unidentified sports commentator on NPR
- "USE ANY COIN COMBINATION, DO NOT USE PENNIES"
- Sign on Boston Globe Vending Machine