This is ONE OF 3 responses to VC 23 Roger 3 ("Good simple food")...
I have never claimed to be much of a cook. But as Roger mentioned, I have acquired a few ultra-easy recipes over the years.
I make several variations of something my friends dismiss as "rice n stuff." I saw one such recipe on a TV commercial:
1. Brown bits of chicken breast in a frying pan with a dab of Italian salad dressing.
2. Dump in a bag of frozen vegetables. I prefer broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots.
3. Cover completely with Minute Rice, right out of the box.
4. Prepare a mixture of white wine (about a cup), another dab of Italian salad dressing, and a spoonful of dijon mustard. Pour this over the rice.
5. Cover and wait about 5 minutes.
This usually takes under ten minutes start to finish and is not half bad. You can adjust the amount of Italian dressing and mustard to suit your taste.
Another variation is to take Rice-a-Roni Spanish Rice and beef it up by adding bacon, onions, chicken (I used to cut up chicken breast but now just settle for one of those little cans of chicken meat), green pepper, and, at the last minute, tomatoes (or a can of tomatoes).
If anyone wants even MORE bachelor recipes, I'll be glad to reveal the secrets of my famous Sweet and Sour Chicken, my Kung Pao Turkey, and maybe even my time-honored Bean Omelette.